Friday, January 24, 2014

I'm Back! A New Year, A New Studio, and New Classes!

Today is the "once in every 20 years" snow day in San Antonio, Texas, so we're all housebound and quiet. This is the perfect day to catch up on all of my procrastinated tasks... like my blog. So Happy New Year to all and I'll give you a quick update! This quick update has taken me 4 hours since I decided to revamp the blog too! I hope you like the new "me!"

It's been a hard six months but it's really been worth it.  In the Fall of 2013 I announced that Stacey and I were closing Wired Designs Studios. It was "decision time" on renewing our lease and we just weren't feeling the love to continue for another 3 years. Although I love teaching and creating, the retail store part of the business was extremely time consuming and after 12 years, a giant snooze fest that is just not much fun. Although we were still making a profit, sometimes the choice is just not about money. My 45 minute commute was kind of a drag, and then when I got to the shop I spent way too much time on the computer entering inventory, paying vendor bills, paying contractors, managing sales tax, etc. My job became less about the art and the students, and more about the "stuff" on the wall and the need to count it, sell it, and replenish it once it sold. It began to feel like I was going in the wrong direction. 

A few years ago I decided to go to Graduate school to get my Masters in Art Education, thinking that it would give me the art satisfaction that I craved. It did, but it just wasn't enough to keep me interested in being a "shop keep." I really missed being free to create when I felt the urge.  I longed for the freedom to teach what I love and what my students needed. And ever since we moved from the old Alley location, I missed having the Gallery and working to promote other artists.
Luckily, I have wonderful friends who were watching me struggle with these issues and with my choice to close the shop. So many of them encouraged me to follow my heart and to teach and create what I want. With their support I found the courage to try something new. 

Thank you: Lisa, Francesca, Nicole, Heidy, Rene, Cathy, Stacey, Stacy, Iris, Julie, Sherry
Thank You: Mike, Mike, Randy, Cynthia, Teri, Kelly, Devon, Scott, Kimberly
Thank You: Ed, John, Nick, Lance, Aaron, Ron, Charlie 

So......after much struggle, moving, tears, attitude adjustment, blood, sweat, and tears, I opened a new studio and gallery space with two fellow artist/adventurers; Lisa Meyer & Francesca Watson. Their  creative talents and generosity of spirit constantly amaze me. I love working with them. They are smart, hard working, and have made me able shed some of my armor! Thanks Girls!

Here are some of the pictures of the new place in no particular order!

We have a grand opening celebration on February 7th at 6:30 pm. I hope you'll all be there!


        
        
        
        
        
        
        
        
       
        
        
       
       



1 comment:

  1. Have missed your blog as well as you! Glad to know you're ready to be back online; already knew you were more than ready to create. Best~

    ReplyDelete